Does every old Melbourne home need rewiring?

First things first, exactly how dangerous is old electrical wiring in a home?

Given that the home could conceivably burn to the ground, in the dead of night with all occupants fast asleep, the answer to that question is “extremely dangerous”.

Fire brigades respond to more than 300 domestic electrical fires each year in Melbourne. Many of these fires are caused by old wiring that has degraded or is unable to cope with the demands of modern electrical equipment. It’s sad to think how many of these fires could have been prevented with House Rewiring by an experienced Home Electrician.

Firemen at fire caused by faulty house wiring

Frayed or cracked wiring, or wires badly chewed by possums and rodents is a definite worry, particularly as it is often out of sight (and out of mind!) behind freshly painted walls, under polished floorboards or in freshly renovated ceilings.

Of course, the wiring has probably been upgraded over the years, hasn’t it? Surely.

And one of the previous owners wouldn’t have been foolish enough to Google “House Rewiring Made Easy” and do it themselves, would they? Surely not.

As you’ll see when your download and read our Electrical Safety Compliance Checklist, there’s only one way to find out for sure and that’s to get a licensed Home Electrician from Hit The Switch to inspect the wiring.

Thinking of replacing old electrical wiring in a home? The sooner the better.

As electricians covering Melbourne city and East Melbourne areas, Hit The Switch could tell you some real horror stories about the state of electrical wiring in old houses.

Is old electrical wiring safe? Not this power point.
For example, we once took a power point off a wall to check it…and it literally exploded in our hands!

Imagine what could have happened if someone inadvertently plugged an appliance into that highly dangerous socket and flicked the switch – they would have got the shock of their life!

As experienced electricians, we were ready for it because the power point was a bit loose on the wall and moved slightly when we handled it, a sure sign of a potential issue.

Connections should never be loose as they can cause an arc, heat up and ignite; in fact, it is a one of the leading causes of house fires.

There are two things we look for when inspecting old wiring:

  • broken insulation made from old Indian rubber which can be brittle, crumble away and allow conductors to touch each other and start a fire, and
  • cloth cable in metal conduit, exposed parts of which are a favourite last meal of rodents and possums.

The state-of-the-art wiring we use today is coated in tough, durable PVC which virtually eliminates the risk of deteriorating.

To avoid problems with old electrical wiring like this, call Hit The Switch today

The bottom line is this. Today’s safety standards are far higher than those of even 40 years ago, so if you are thinking of buying an older Melbourne house, or selling, we strongly recommend you call us to discuss your options for House Rewiring in order to ease your mind.

As we say in our Electrical Safety Compliance Checklist: Hopefully everything will be done prior to you purchasing the home, however never assume that it has been.”

The only way to be 100% sure that the electrical wiring in an older-style home is in good condition and isn’t a risk to you and your family is to get us to perform a thorough electrical inspection.

For more information and advice, and to find out if YOUR old electrical wiring is safe, call us now on 1300 205 205 or simply click here to contact us.

Safety Compliance checklist CTA